Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A Book Launch and the Norfolk Language

Last Saturday at the Norfolk Island Museum, Professor Peter Muhlhausler launched his book "Ucklun's Norf'k". The book was co authored by Rachel Nebauer-Borg and Piria Coleman and a number of enthusiasts of the Norf'k laengwij were there to show their support. The venue was perfect and the Director of the Museum ensured that the event was worthy of the occasion. Rebecca Hayes provided a delectable range of island style nibbles and in my humble opinion we should have another such gathering very soon!

David Buffett, Chief Minister, launched the book and spoke of the Norf'k laengwij and Professor Peter Muhlhausler's support

Many of you will remember Dr Shirley Harrison, daughter of Moresby and Mavis Buffett, who did her Uni thesis on the Norf'k laengwij. We were delighted to be joined by her daughter Anne Harrison who will be continuing her mother's work. Anne will be studying Norfolk Island nicknames, their origins and stories. This snapshot is Anne with her daughter

Some of the people who attended the launch, enjoying the afternoon

Prof Peter Muhlhausler and Anne Harrison

Jodie and Raelene ~ both paying absolute attention and not indulging in gossip one little bit. Jodie had the unmitigated gaul to say that I wasn't allowed to take her photo! And this is after she taped me SINGING!!!!

Peter and Lisa, the Museum Director ~ Great Job Lisa

Peter giving his speech, and a very funny quote which I was going to insert, but I can't find it!

Piria Coleman speaking of the part she played in the preparation of 'Ucklun's Norfolk'

Rachel addressing those present on her participation and love of Norf'k

This is the cover of the book that Rachel launched last week. A series of short stories on the island way of life and songs that she has written

Anne Harrison whom I had the pleasure of welcoming to Flagstaff for a chat. Next time I see Nigel I'll have something to say to him about my photo!! I was absolutely blown off planet when Anne gave me her sony recorder. Fantastic. I've wanted to record Dad's stories of his whaling days and a number of other tales he has, and now I can. I simply can't thank Anne enough.

Anne, Nigel and the children, visiting me at the Old Military Barracks to hand over my new sony recorder. Yay! I may even be able to blog some sounds. Wouldn't that be amazing!

More and more books are being published on the Norf'k laengwij. It's just great to see. This is Suzanne Evans's book

I produced a set of small readers back in 2000 to assist with the teaching of Norf'k at the school. This one is about our Bounty Day. A re-enactment that occurs every year on the 8th June, to commemorate the landing of the Pitcairners in 1856

Orn'Stoen was written about our traditional fishing lifestyle

Hukimilish is a creepy, scary creature that will keep young children away from old houses, empty coves and disused wells!

Orn'Sehn tells the reader about the flotsam and jetsam that washes ashore after high seas following a storm.

Daas et fe des dieh. Ai hoep yorlyi enjoi riiden et!

1 comment:

Lisa Richards said...

Fantastic blogspot Gaye! And wasn't it a wonderful evening - such a good spirit and feeling from everyone in the room that Norf'k language is gaining in strength, slowly but surely. Love seeing the images of all the publications on your page, really highlights how much has been written in Norf'k. See you at the next launch!!