Friday, October 28, 2011

Quilters Visit ~ A stitch in Time

I ran into Leigh Christian Mitchell. Not literally ~ despite what some people say about my driving ~ and she told me of the visiting Quilters and the show they were having at Hillcrest. Now I take time out here to have a whinge, because it was on show for one day only, and not a very long day at that. How many people missed out. Never mind Jenks. You can check it out here!

Little Molly Moocow is guarding the girls whilst they are guarding the door and ensuring that my hard earnt pennies are well spent. Where's my quilt girls? I'm sure I would have won first.

Here is the most beautiful quilt imaginable. I was pretty positive that Leigh said it was a Hyacinth, but then yesterday she said no, it's Hydrangia. Well it's definately high on my list of beautiful things. You know, that girl must do Nothing but sit around enjoying herself. Actually, I've visited, and her home is full of the most exquisite stitchery. What's that about sitting on a cushion and stitching a fine seam?

Now here's another two. They're visiting the showcase of quilts but no-one was surprised to find them out in the garden, discussing ~ of all things ~ lemon and garlic. Good Grief

I really loved this one also. Poppies I think, and the stitching was just amazing. Patterns within the colours, within the fabric, within the stitching..

Now which one’s the exquisite piece. Oh yes that’s right. The wildflowers on the wall. Of course

This was a display board of smaller pieces. Top and centre was a beautiful cream, ivory and white quilt with doilies and old lace stitched in. I adored it.

The black and white quilt with apple green highlights also caught my eye. It was an explosion of colours throughout the room. There was also a beautiful piece in autumn colours, showing autumn leaves falling. Loved that one.

Now honestly. This duck was black fabric with beads and trinkets and things. I'm sure Mary Christian Bailey's exceptional work was around somewhere but I didn't actually see it. I love stitching but it's a visual feast for me. I really don't know what I'm talking about. Doesn't mean that I can't enjoy it to the full though

And I thought of Jerry when I saw this one. Cats upon cats upon cats. If you didn't visit then you really missed something very special. There are so many things happening on our tiny little Island. Aren't we the luckiest people ever
Hint ~ if you double click on the picture it may well open bigger so you can have a better look. Happy days

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

Funny you mention all this because just lately i have been thinking an awful lot about Dawn Chapman (Jenks's Mum) Who in 2009 made me the most beautiful quilt. Its getting very hot now, but even so when i make my bed, which yes mum is every morning, it looks so cute on the end of my bed and it just makes my room feel so snug and homey. So Thank You Dawn for your beautiful handy work, it really just makes me smile every time i see it. And my friends also love it for movie nights to keep them snug too. :) xo p.s i'll see if i can get a pic for you

Sharyn said...

Gaysie, some people in my last group went to the Quilt Show and commented about a lovely Norfolk piece that had the St Barnabas Stained Glass Window and a plaited hat and many other Norfolk things on it, they said it was stunning, do you have a photo!? Also - one of the ladies were very pleased to have won second prize in the raffle and proudly took home a christmas table runner!!!

Leigh said...

I won the first prize in the raffle, which is a gorgeous 'scrappy' quilt made by Donna Pearson who lived here for several years. Donna is one of the founding members of Quilt Norfolk, and unfortunately was unable to be here this year. Maybe in 2012.
Gaysie, I just LOVE your blog !!

Thanks for the comments !
Leigh